I have really found a lot of value in Qigong’s use of balance and rootedness to center the being. Recently I have turned this into a practice for riding the subways, which I do several times a day.
When you assume in the qigong standing posture, you are just resuming your own natural posture.
On the subways, I stand near a handle-rail but I don’t hold on. I stand in a relaxed qigong standing posture. When the subway car moves, I move with it. When done right, it just looks like I’m calmly standing on the subway. For me, it feels like I’m living in the moment, riding the subway car and rooting myself in place. It’s relaxing.
I have also found that the more I trust my balance and footing, the more at home I feel. I think that’s why I like sitting on the ground whenever the opportunity provides itself.
A brief description of the Qigong Standing Posture:
Stand with your feet shoulder’s width apart, toes pointed forward. Bend your knees slightly so that they aren’t locked. This is slightly more tiring but it is healthier for your legs and develops important muscles for walking through varied terrain.
Elongate your spine. Don’t force it to assume a back-straight military pose. But make sure your spine is fully expressing its length.
Drop your shoulders. Keep your neck straight and your chin over your chest.
When you inhale, expand your belly outward. When you exhale, bring it in.
All of this can be done naturally. At first it will feel weird but if you practice standing like that whenever you find yourself standing around, you’ll find a natural grace in it. It looks different on everyone because we all have different bodies. Once you have the feel of it, you can tell when your body is tensed and contorted. Then you can relax into this posture.
I suggest you give it a try for a week!
- s-a-mo likes this
- missmiloart likes this
- lucidafood likes this
- symphonyofstars likes this
- shannoncharlesjacobs reblogged this from lazyyogi
- shannoncharlesjacobs likes this
- xlookinsidemyheart likes this
- repty likes this
- goldensutures likes this
- soul--soleil likes this
- pill0whead likes this
- alchemical-gold likes this
- thejesterrace reblogged this from lazyyogi
- somestrangeseahorse likes this
- iandytron likes this
- altaeousverte likes this
- blueorchidplatypus likes this
- imastegosaurusrex reblogged this from lazyyogi
- eyeofmantorok likes this
- hippieofthehighestorder likes this
- fluffythingsmakemehappy likes this
- lettertomyoldself likes this
- holycatholicrosaryofthefree reblogged this from lazyyogi
- holycatholicrosaryofthefree likes this
- wedding-dress-bridal likes this
- krystalballnyc reblogged this from lazyyogi
- ismelllikegarlic likes this
- shipsshipsships likes this
- bellafroxnoire reblogged this from lazyyogi
- mellow-sun likes this
- melissaontheinternet reblogged this from lazyyogi
- rb919 likes this
- halloweenjesus likes this
- lions-brave-heart likes this
- turtlefifi likes this
- lazyyogi posted this