One thing that has been on my mind lately are the Three Jewels of Buddhism. Buddhism is groovy in that people don’t convert to it, they take shelter in it. This is an important difference to understand. Buddhism is a Way, a technology that jives with the cosmos. It is not the only one but it is special. When you become buddhist, you take the refuge vow. The refuge vow varies from sect to sect but at the essence of it you are committing to take shelter in the Three Jewels and renounce a reactive life of karma.
A simple refuge vow goes as follows:
I take refuge in the Buddha.
I take refuge in the Dharma.
I take refuge in the Sangha.
While the vow is said aloud and sometimes in a ceremony, true refuge occurs within. However, the vows are much more than accepting the Buddha as enlightened, the Dharma as truth, and the Sangha as your group of fellow buddhists. The vows are the technology at the core of buddhism.
Taking refuge in the Buddha means accepting the idea of enlightenment or self-realization, even if you aren’t sure it’s real just yet. Everything has Buddha-nature and this vow asserts that you may return to that nature whenever you desire. Taking refuge in the Dharma means taking refuge in Truth. The Dharma isn’t laws and precepts and concepts. The Dharma is the immutable truth of nature and reality. It is gravity and stem cell research and shrooms and psychology. Taking refuge in the Dharma means you commit to seeing the world as it is, not as you want it to be. And finally, taking refuge in the Sangha (buddhist community) means losing the sense of separateness from everyone else on the Path. Any pilgrim who walks the path, buddhist, hindu, or otherwise are indelibly bound together.
I may not consider myself a traditional buddhist but I fully utilize the precious gifts that are the three jewels. They are there for anyone to find relief from samsara.
- forest-plum likes this
- lions-brave-heart reblogged this from lazyyogi
- buddhisttea reblogged this from lazyyogi
- thurmansnotebook reblogged this from lazyyogi
- savaka reblogged this from lazyyogi
- slikgreene reblogged this from lazyyogi
- slikgreene likes this
- decidetomorrow likes this
- lovelikewynter likes this
- frannzillaa reblogged this from victusinveritas and added:
- praesens reblogged this from lazyyogi
- praesens likes this
- peacebird likes this
- hempchick6 likes this
- loveandotheradderall likes this
- bobchik reblogged this from observedintoexistence
- bobchik likes this
- goodladywife likes this
- i-zahir reblogged this from lazyyogi and added:
- consciousconsciouness likes this
- lonius likes this
- leoleus reblogged this from lazyyogi
- becominginsane reblogged this from spiritmolecule
- mythblazer16 likes this
- insomna-magic reblogged this from child-of-the-universe
- celiacbubbie reblogged this from lazyyogi
- whyrez likes this
- neurotiqua likes this
- aerphix likes this
- thingsmissalikes said: well said. :)
- thingsmissalikes likes this
- dharma-warrior likes this
- pinetrees likes this
- signpostsontheroad reblogged this from lazyyogi
- bleesus likes this
- sparklekaz likes this
- holisticpath likes this
- rhymeswithjay likes this
- aszend likes this
- start-acting-my-age likes this
- philosophia-perennis likes this
- roxannjackson likes this
- forsheiswhatiam reblogged this from huskerlaw
- livestarry-eyed likes this
- hoorahdreama reblogged this from spiritmolecule
- infiniteofferingsongs likes this
- redsoul503 likes this
- voluptuousteapot likes this
- valiuums likes this