Lately I’ve been examining the impact of continuous use of mantra. Mentally repeating mantras when I shower, eat, drive, whatever. Over enough time, weeks, months, the mantra will settle in your heart and repeat itself on its own.
In Be Here Now, Ram Dass discusses the benefits of mantra as a technique. It surpasses meditation in adaptability because you can engage in mantra literally at any time, on the spot.
As a sitting meditation, I find long periods empty meditation to be more stilling than mantra meditation. But for being out and about in the world, continuous mantra helps to loosen the identification with the ego.
One technique that Ram Dass suggests is waking up into mantra. Once you realize that you are awake, you immediately begin mental repetitions of a mantra.
Today was my first morning doing it and I have to say, it wasn’t easy. There’s a huge amount of mental resistance.
Our first thoughts upon waking are usually our most egoistic, that is to say that they are very ‘I’ centric. What do I have to do today? I feel hungry. I have to use the bathroom. I want to sleep more. We haven’t even left our beds and already the ‘I’ is dominating our attention.
Mantra redirects your attention from the ego to the mantra as it is repeated in the present moment. It is a way of letting go of everything else. Already I can see its enormous potential to transform life.
We’ll see where it leads.
Namaste, sangha. :)
- zebroe likes this
- tasekai reblogged this from lazyyogi
- earthan6elbliss reblogged this from lazyyogi
- atybella likes this
- etherealyugen likes this
- atybella reblogged this from lazyyogi
- ammasunz reblogged this from getyouryogaon
- beholdavisionofloveliness likes this
- clarafiki likes this
- getyouryogaon reblogged this from lazyyogi
- i-need-a-therapist likes this
- allthereasonstobelieve likes this
- lapin-somnolent likes this
- beautifulconsciousness likes this
- elinlin likes this
- codystarlee likes this
- lalal0ri reblogged this from lazyyogi
- lalal0ri likes this
- savaka likes this
- heavymetta reblogged this from lazyyogi
- amymirvin likes this
- sillydebonaire reblogged this from dendriablog
- whyrez likes this
- spartansmoothies likes this
- mindfullmoonchild likes this
- audra91 likes this
- allencguevarra likes this
- reikiana likes this
- breakfastwithbuddha reblogged this from lazyyogi
- lions-brave-heart likes this
- leoleus likes this
- laughatdragons likes this
- naturalmagics likes this
- sketchofasinner likes this
- dendriablog reblogged this from lazyyogi
- pear-blossom reblogged this from lazyyogi
- illuminateheartsawaken likes this
- youareyourmind likes this
- anythingispossiblehere likes this
- paranormalexpresso reblogged this from lazyyogi
- paranormalexpresso likes this
- thezenplayground reblogged this from lazyyogi
- cougarchild likes this
- keepingthedoctorsaway likes this
- pharty-party said: reminding your self to practice mantra, or even practicing mantra through out your day is still keeping one from the moment. just being has helped me more then any practice or belief.
- xanaxandvodka likes this
- crazy-cloud reblogged this from lazyyogi
- tpapi likes this
- pulpdogbasterd likes this