As we enter the weekend and the second week of the spirituality challenge, this is important to keep in mind.
The subject of effort on the spiritual path is a divided one. Some adhere to the school of thought that all effort must be put forth, until the very last breath of life. Others ascribe to the effortless school of thought, emphasizing a complete let-go.
Soto zen takes an interesting approach to this topic. For them enlightenment is natural; it is effortless. But because we are driven away from our effortless nature by restlessness and the illusion of separation, it takes effort to come back.
It takes effort to shift your disillusioned life into one of daily practice and mindfulness. Sitting down for meditation and remaining mindful in life can be a challenge. For some it feels rather effortless and for others it may take an astonishing degree of discipline. But the outcome is the same. The outcome is effortlessness, the path carries you like a river sweeping off downstream.
Effort is necessary to step onto the path. But once on it, it is easy to let go of the very concept of effort. No effort need be made when you re-discover your inborn naturalness.
In zen, spiritual practices like meditation are considered expressions of your naturalness rather than something engaged in with a goal in mind. The more you express your nature, the more natural you become.
- fairywater likes this
- casiana reblogged this from lazyyogi
- casiana likes this
- catwaffless likes this
- alittlelessthanclever likes this
- halloweenjesus likes this
- blueorchidplatypus likes this
- frenchtwist likes this
- themcatsiscrazy likes this
- keanuquotes likes this
- lonius reblogged this from lazyyogi
- lions-brave-heart likes this
- andthatshowtheworldbegan likes this
- seekingserenityy said: I just.. I love you. I love the simplicity and purity of all things you write. I love how everything feels truly genuine and just makes sense. I love this challenge you’ve put up and I love the effort you’re making. Thank you!
- autostima likes this
- seekingserenityy likes this
- rebelathearttt likes this
- alliemaybear reblogged this from lazyyogi
- alliemaybear likes this
- when-stars-die likes this
- katieandthedeepgreensea likes this
- critterhubbard likes this
- rambleoncam likes this
- holisticpath likes this
- youaretheuniverseisyou reblogged this from lazyyogi
- thisisendless likes this
- moonphishh likes this
- kuipiers likes this
- a-polo-nia likes this
- love-u-blue likes this
- imall4frogs reblogged this from lazyyogi
- imall4frogs likes this
- ziggy-zagnuts reblogged this from lazyyogi
- psychowolf likes this
- fatuousprogress likes this
- paulina-sweetsensation likes this
- ponygirlz1 likes this
- aiconthegod reblogged this from lazyyogi
- aiconthegod said: Thank you for this challenge. It touches on something I definitely will be working on!
- aiconthegod likes this
- transcending-nihilism likes this
- lazyyogi posted this